RE: [IP] Shorts and Farming (Gastroparesis)

Another intestinal issue to consider is celiac disease.  Celiac disease is
an autoimmune disorder (like Type 1 diabetes) where the immune system
attacks gluten in the small intestine.  The result is bloating, pain,
diarrhea or constipation, and other issues. It can seem like food poisoning
or IBS, but generally happens 1-2 hours after eating rather than 8 or so
hours later like food poisoning.  Other longer term symptoms include iron
deficiency (anemia) and calcium deficiency.

Gluten comes from wheat, barley, and rye, and related grains, and any food
products made or derived from those grains.  Celiac disease is extremely
under diagnosed in the U.S., with about 1 in 2,000 people identified as
celiac, but estimates are that actual prevalence is 1 in 133, and it
averages about 10 years before affected people are properly diagnosed.
Among type 1 diabetics, the incidence is believed to be about 1 in 10, so
it's worth checking out.  See www.celiac.org for more info.

Unfortunately, the only treatment for celiac is to cut out gluten completely
from your diet for the rest of your life. The good news is that no
medications are required to treat it.

I've been diagnosed with celiac disease for almost 5 years, and mild
gastroparesis for about the same time.  My gastroparesis is very mild, so my
only symptoms are slow digestion of food and sometimes a "full" feeling
after eating. Depending on the severity, others have symptoms like
heartburn, vomiting, and inability to keep down food. (I'm not an expert on
it, so I'll defer to others for more details on symptoms.

The gastroparesis can make bolusing a challenge because it's difficult to
predict when carbs will hit your blood sugar.  So far I've had the best luck
with various combinations of dual-wave bolusing timed to the types of food
I'm eating.