  From: J.E.Hughey<mailto:email @ redacted>
  To: email @ redacted<mailto:email @ redacted>
  Sent: Tuesday, June 20, 2006 2:26 PM
  Subject: [IP] re: Diana Schonauer

  > I've had diabetes since birth in 1945, now 61. I went into
  > a coma when 15 months old, that's when it was discovered.

  Congratulations on your longevity - and welcome to this group. I am not
  sure if you applied or even know of Joslin's award system for insulin
  users. Joslin Diabetes Center in Boston awards a 25-year certificate
  for, you guessed it,
  25 years of IDDM. ;) They give a bronze medal (actually a small
  paperweight) for 50 years IDDM. At one time they gave a silver medal for
  25 yrs but you had to go through all kinds of tests to prove no
  complications. Drs balked at subjecting patients to unneeded tests for a
  medal. They dropped the medal and now give a certificate for 25 years.
  See:
http://www.joslin.org/news/medals.shtml<http://www.joslin.org/news/medalsshtm
l> For 50 years, you had/have
  to be warm and breathing.

  The 75-year award is slightly larger than the 50-Year medal and is
  engraved on the back with the person's name and the year of anniversary.
  They come with a shadowbox that is ready to display the medal, and the
  box also has a spot where the name and date are engraved. They have
  given at least 22 of the 75-year awards and I have a personal friend
  with 71 years so far.

  Eli Lilly Co. should also be contacted:
  www.lillyforlife.com<http://www.lillyforlife.com/> They award a sterling
silver medallion on a
  stainless steel chain recognizing 50 years of insulin therapy. The
  website also indicates they have  25-, 50-, and 75-year awards. Your
  name is engraved on the back. My Joslin/Lilly medals can be seen on my
  picture trail of my BASH I had celebrating 50 years of LIFE and
  SURVIVAL -- not of DM! ;-)
http://www.picturetrail.com/dmBASHpics<http://www.picturetrail.com/dmBASHpics

  You need *proof* of your dx - but fill out the forms they send. My proof
  was photocopied pages from the diary I was keeping at the time (covering
  1.5 yrs of life) of my hospitalization. I also had previously requested
  some
  information from the dx'ing laboratory and they sent lab tests w/my
  name, date, and hospital. The first BG was about 8 hrs after I
  regained consciousness and it was 486. Joslin accepted the above as
  proof of dx date. I do not know how high my BG was to put me in the
  coma.

  Jan T-1 11/5/50, pmpg 8/23/83) Dialyzing 7/8/02
  http://maxpages.com/bludasue<http://maxpages.com/bludasue>  -
http://maxpages.com/TSLandCLIP<http://maxpages.com/TSLandCLIP>

  All I want is less to do, more time to do it, and higher pay for not
  getting it done.