[IP] re: Diana Schonauer

> I've had diabetes since birth in 1945, now 61. I went into
> a coma when 15 months old, that's when it was discovered.

Congratulations on your longevity - and welcome to this group. I am not
sure if you applied or even know of Joslin's award system for insulin
users. Joslin Diabetes Center in Boston awards a 25-year certificate
for, you guessed it,
25 years of IDDM. ;) They give a bronze medal (actually a small
paperweight) for 50 years IDDM. At one time they gave a silver medal for
25 yrs but you had to go through all kinds of tests to prove no
complications. Drs balked at subjecting patients to unneeded tests for a
medal. They dropped the medal and now give a certificate for 25 years.
See: http://www.joslin.org/news/medals.shtml For 50 years, you had/have
to be warm and breathing.

The 75-year award is slightly larger than the 50-Year medal and is
engraved on the back with the person's name and the year of anniversary.
They come with a shadowbox that is ready to display the medal, and the
box also has a spot where the name and date are engraved. They have
given at least 22 of the 75-year awards and I have a personal friend
with 71 years so far.

Eli Lilly Co. should also be contacted:
www.lillyforlife.com They award a sterling silver medallion on a
stainless steel chain recognizing 50 years of insulin therapy. The
website also indicates they have  25-, 50-, and 75-year awards. Your
name is engraved on the back. My Joslin/Lilly medals can be seen on my
picture trail of my BASH I had celebrating 50 years of LIFE and
SURVIVAL -- not of DM! ;-) http://www.picturetrail.com/dmBASHpics

You need *proof* of your dx - but fill out the forms they send. My proof
was photocopied pages from the diary I was keeping at the time (covering
1.5 yrs of life) of my hospitalization. I also had previously requested
some
information from the dx'ing laboratory and they sent lab tests w/my
name, date, and hospital. The first BG was about 8 hrs after I
regained consciousness and it was 486. Joslin accepted the above as
proof of dx date. I do not know how high my BG was to put me in the
coma.

Jan T-1 11/5/50, pmpg 8/23/83) Dialyzing 7/8/02
http://maxpages.com/bludasue  - http://maxpages.com/TSLandCLIP

All I want is less to do, more time to do it, and higher pay for not
getting it done.