[IP] Dealing with MassHealth

Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 11:35:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: David <email @ redacted>
Subject: Re: [IP] New to List - Need assistance

I have spoken to someone I know who is involved in the
> MassHealth system and she advised that you consider
> applying for disability yourself through MassHealth -
> perhaps on the basis that your health will deteriorate
> without the pump.  She advised that if you apply
> before your current coverage terminates, you will
> probably get to stay on MassHealth while they do the
> disability evaluation, which she says takes about 90
> days.  She also said it might be worth applying for
> disability through Social Security, since MassHealth
> must accept the Social Security determination if it's
> in your favor.
>
> You may already know all this, but I hope it helps.

 One of the things we are looking into is direct disability through MassHealth
(Ma state Medicaid) but it happened so fast that we may have to apply fresh. The
way they did it was to scroll me off based on my son's birthday with no advance
warning. I was never of the understanding that the MassHealth might stop because
of his age. I always thought I was on it directly for myself.

We have a hearing at the end of the month.

MPK