RE: [IP] Androderm

 The thing for people to understand is that Androderm didn't cause your cancer.
But what happens is
 that some prostate cancers are dependent on testosterone (and its more potent
metabolite, DHT).
 Having low testosterone slows down these cancerns, and replacing it allows them
to grow, well, like
 cancer. In fact, one of the therapies for such cancers is to BLOCK the
production of testosterone.

 So before starting androgen replacement therapy, you should be screened for
prostate cancer (via a
PSA test, rectal exam, etc.), and monitored for changes thereafter.

 Another problem to watch for is polycythemia -- overproduction of red blood
cells. In fact, my last
 blood tests showed a mild degree of this, though possibly more linked to
respiratory problems than
 endocrine problems -- the jury is out. But it's to a very mild degree in any
event, and I've got
 numerous other hormone issues to complicate the picture. Polycythemia is easily
detected on a
 routine CBC blood test. Polycythemia due to androgen replacement would be due
to over-replacement,
and a dose adjustment would alleviate the problem.

 Androderm is a lot nicer to work with than the gels, etc. You need to be VERY
careful with those to
 not come into contact with females, especially pregnant females and children
(of either gender).
 That includes coming into contact with clothing which has been in contact with
the gel. That was
 the main reason I switched to Androderm. (The other reason is that I really
dislike having my
clothes stick to my body!)

 One way to think about it is that the hypoandrogen state has a number of
well-defined,
 high-probability risks of low-moderate severity. Replacement has a
low-probability risk of
 accelerating some prostate cancers. If your free testosterone levels are low
enough, replacement is
 a good choice for most people. Being careful to detect and exclude prostate
cancer helps to reduce
the risks.

 If your doctor hasn't screened you for prostate cancer -- well, you should be
getting that anyway,
but insist on it.