RE: [IP] Neuropathy correction using Anodyne Light Therapy

Sorry to say, but for me the Anodyne therapy did not work. I went for
about 12 sessions and although the physical motion training that was
provided with it was helpful the Anodyne did not seem to lessen the pain.

The following is information I tracked down at the time;

Anodyne Light Therapy has been recently studied in the treatment of
diabetic neuropathy, a condition originally thought to be progressive and
irreversible.  Peripheral neuropathy in diabetes occurs as a result of
decreased blood flow to an area of the body thus resulting in a loss of
sensations.  Anodyne Light Therapy is thought to be able to increase the
amount of blood flow to an area, thus repairing sensation or increasing
sensation to an area once damaged from long term ischemia.

            Anodyne Light Therapy is performed by a device or pads with
sixty near-infrared gallium aluminum arsenide diodes.  The near-infrared
diodes are thought to be able to be able to increase circulation by
increasing the amount of nitric oxide in circulation in the blood.  The
nitric oxide released from hemoglobin circulates increasing
vasodilatation and muscle relaxation.  The increased blood flow to the
area makes it less ischemic and increases sensation.

            A handful of studies have been performed on the short term
use of Anodyne Light Therapy.  In both studies, patients treated with
near-infrared therapy experienced positive results that were both
statistically and clinically significant.  In both studies, patient sense
of touch to the area was increased.  In one of the two studies, hot and
cold sensation was improved significantly.  Some patients fully recovered
hot and cold sensation and the majority returned to impaired hot and cold
sensations which were origina! lly absent.

            Even though short term data has been shown to be successful,
long term data is not yet available.  The first study was just recently
approved to continue into a long term study.  Since both studies only
lasted about a month each and nitric oxide is only active in blood for a
very short duration, it is unknown how long the effects will be good for
or if there are any long term problems associated with the therapy.
Also, in regards to hot and cold sensation, it was shown that response
rates were better in Type I Diabetics than in Type II.  At least some hot
and cold sensation returned in about 75% of Type I Diabetics where as
less than 50% of Type II Diabetics had some return of hot and cold
sensation.