[IP] Pump Failure/Exchange - Miracle Story

Hi all,

This isn't anything really newsworthy, but because it's a minor success
for me, I wanted to share it.  It also speaks to what happens when a
pump fails.

Well, the other day, I got an A33 Error on my Paradigm 515.  Because it
just reset, rewound, and went back to working, I didn't think much of
it, and didn't do anything about it.  Then, about 3 days ago, I got
another A33 Error.  This time, I thought I should call MiniMed to see
what it means.  They said that it means that a sensor test failed and I
could be getting the incorrect amount of insulin -- not good.  It
requires a replacement of the pump.  Since my pump is in warranty until
September 2007, this was not a problem.  Well, after placing me on hold
for a LONG LONG time to check on the "shipping status", the rep came
back and said that they were back ordered in the smoke colored pump I
use.  No big deal, I thought, I would just have to be on injections for
a few more days.

Instead, he offered to send me a blue one and, since blue is my second
favorite color, I was happy to be able to try wearing a blue one for a
little while.  I agreed, and he put me on hold for another LONG LONG
period and came back and asked if I wanted it shipped to my home.  I
said yes, and he told me that it would be delivered via UPS (oh no!) on
Saturday Morning before 10:30.

So, to address the issue of being on injections.  I am totally prepared,
with Humalog Pens and Lantus Pen injectors, so being on injections is
nothing more than a little inconvenient.  Kind of like having to take
the bus when your car is in the shop.  I was on injections for less than
48 hours and it was NO BIG DEAL!

Now, the minor miracle:  I received my new pump today and I was a little
disappointed that it wasn't blue.  Yes, I was looking forward to being
fashion forward for a few days.  Oh well.  Since I had my prior pump
settings stored in a Paradigm PAL file, as I always do, I of course,
planned on transferring the old pump settings to the new pump using
PAL.  The miracle is that it worked.  It took several tries, but it
worked.  I don't know why it takes so many tries, because I never change
anything between tries, but for some reason, just trying over and over
again gets it to work.

So, as I write this, my insulin is coming up to room temperature so I
can fill a reservoir and start pumping happily again.  Being on a pump
is certainly a huge advantage, but not at all a necessity.  What I
missed most about my pump was having the clock always with me.  With
that said, I'm looking forward to the next iteration of Paradigm RT,
where they will combine the sensor and transmitter into one small piece,
hopefully combining it with the infusion set as well.  Once it is
simplified, they should have insurance coverage issues worked out and I
can go about getting on one of those.

Best wishes to everyone,

--
Antonio in LA