Re: [IP] new insurance/new doctor

At 09:24 AM 6/10/2006, you wrote:
>  Do any of you use a family practioner as your pump doctor? I can
> deal with the
>pump myself in the same way I have dealt with my 43 years of diabetes
>myself--for the most part. Just really need someone to write my
>precriptions for
>me and do bloodwork and such.
>  My question is do you think you get as good of care with a family
> practioner as
>you do with an Internal Med or an Endo?
>
>Thanks!
>Debbie and "Sam Ina", that's Animas backwards, from Western Kentucky
>.

Since I've had health insurance, which has only been for 10 years or
so, I've used an internist as my primary care doctor.  I never saw an
endo until last year.  All 3 of the primary care/internal medicine
doctors I've seen (including my current one) seem to know nothing
about diabetes.  Never been any help in anything.  Even though I was
on NPH right up until last year, none of them ever suggested a
different insulin for me.

I have heard a lot of people do have a good experience with a family
practioner and I was thinking of changing, so I don't care for my
current PCP at all.  I do see the NP/CDE for my diabetes/pump related
stuff but I still need a PCP.  I wouldn't hesitate to use a family
practice doctor.

--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987