  From: Rick Stockton
  To: email @ redacted
  Sent: Sunday, June 04, 2006 1:26 AM
  Subject: [IP] Insurance to approve CGMS

  Sarah Dowdell said:
  "Without insurance coverage, the MM systems work out to around $5000 a
  year in supplies alone."

  Well, my Dexcom can be "fooled" into re-using the same sensor for a
  second (and even a 3rd, and IF YOU DARE, even a 4th !!!) 72-hour period.

  Right now, I'm on the 10TH DAY with the same sensor... and the #s are
  still as good as they were on the first 3 days.

  Supposing I average 10 days each (it might go longer, but others might
  not be this "lucky").  Sensor cost is $35 / 10 days = $3.50 per day.
  Transmitters last, I'm told, about 6 months: $250 / 183 = $1.37 per day.
  The actual CGMS box lasts, I'm told about a year: $500 / 365 is also $1.37.

  So I'm running at no worse than $2275 per year: less than HALF your
  figure. YMMV vary, and I've got no idea whether the Minimed can be
  "fooled" like the Dexcom, or whether Minimed has any intention of
  requesting a longer sensor approval from the FDA. (Dexcom has already
  asked for 7 days, I've been told  AND read on the Web.)

  Heck, the Dexcom's a much nicer machine to use anyway. FSCK the RT.