RE: [IP] new to pumping....questions

You have to remember you are using short acting insulin also.  The
Lantis lasted maybe 24 hours. The short maybe 3 to 5 hours.

-----Original Message-----
From: email @ redacted
[mailto:email @ redacted] On Behalf Of George
Sent: Monday, June 05, 2006 11:29 AM
To: Insulin Pumpers
Subject: Re: [IP] new to pumping....questions

On Jun 5, 2006 at 9:51 AM, May Dara
<<mailto:email @ redacted>email @ redacted> wrote:

>   I seem to need a LOT of basal insulin. I am currently taking
>between .9 and 1
>unit per hour. So I am taking almost 24 units of basal everyday. When I
was on
>Lantus I took 16 - 18 units per day.
>   Is it normal to have such dramatic fluctuations in the amt of
insulin used?
>   Dara

YMMV, Dara, we all take what is necessary.  My basal is 19.3 units
daily and my TDI runs from 32 to 60 units (depending on the ice cream
flavor)   Since you are new, that 24 units may be adjusted over time,
it may go up or it might go down, whatever is necessary.  As to TDI,
here's some stats:

       http://insulin-pumpers.org/about.shtml#dailyinsulin

Most pumpers vary their percentage of basal between 40 and 60 percent.
YMMV

George