[IP] new to pumping....questions

I am new to pumping, and am on the Omnipod. I have a few questions:

  I seem to need a LOT of basal insulin. I am currently taking between .9 and 1
unit per hour. So I am taking almost 24 units of basal everyday. When I was on
Lantus I took 16 - 18 units per day.

  Why do I need so much more basal now? And doesn't that seem like a lot per
hour? I'm a type one, 5'6" and weigh somewhere around 150 (give or take 5 lbs.)

  I am not eating more than I was before. I am worried that I will gain weight,
need more basal, gain weight etc. You know the loop I am talking about. Is it
odd to need so much?

  I have also noticed that on a day-to-day basis my insulin needs change
dramatically. For example, on 6/3 I took a total of 31.5 units (71% basal!), and
on 6/2 I took 42.4 units (53% basal). 6/1 it was a total of 29.2 (77% basal!)
and 5/31 I used a total of 45.8 (49% basal).

  Now that I have bored you with my insulin intake for the past week, I'll get
to my question:

  Is it normal to have such dramatic fluctuations in the amt of insulin used?

  Thanks,
  Dara