Re: [IP] The new Paradigm Pump w/ continuous glucose monitoring

<<<Why spend all that money for a combined pump / CGMS ???>>>

I'm a little confuse by your email.  The Paradigm RT pump is different from
the Guardian RT, which is what you compare the DexCom system to.  The
Paradigm RT pump has trends on the pump display like the DexCom (whereas the
Guardian does not) and the sensors for the Paradigm RT and the Guardian RT
can be "tricked" just like the DexCom.  I don't know about the
refridgeration, but that isn't a deal breaker for me.

Additionally, if you get the combined pump/CGMS, the start up cost is $1000
plus either your pump purchase copay (which you'd have to pay if you were
getting a new pump no matter what) or the cost of the upgrade (my guess is
~$200 like the previous upgrades) since the pump is covered under insurance
just like any other pump (and the CGMS systems are not).  So personally for
me, the cost will be ~$1200, compared to $800 with DexCom (the website
price, not sure where the $500 come from--might have been a promotional
thing that passed).  The $1200 Paradigm RT start up kit plus pump upgrade
contains the pump, 10 sensors plus the transmitter, whereas the DexCom only
contains 2 sensors plus the transmitter and the receiver unit.  The sensors
for both systems are $35 each, so the additional 8 sensors add another $280
to the DexCom system, making a difference of only $120.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that the DexCom is probably better than the
Guardian RT based on size and price (and availability), but I don't
neccessarily think the DexCom is better than the combined pump/CGMS system
for the price (particularly if you have a Paradigm pump already, or you are
planning on getting one).  It depends on what you're looking for, and for me
(YMMV) the all in one pump/receiver is a HUGE advantage.  Maybe there is the
argument that the more stuff the pump does, the more likely it is to fail,
but I've been using MM pumps for 6 years and I've yet to have a problem, so
I'll take the relatively tiny risk to counter the huge advantage I'm going
to get.  Less crap I have to have hooked to my pockets or belt--I have a
hard enough time with just my pump so finding an extra spot for the receiver
is just not good (plus I can't lose my pump, I could lose the receiver).
For others, having a pump and a receiver hooked to their belt/pockets is not
a problem but having a larger transmitter is a problem.  Again YMMV.

Sarah, dx'92, pumping'00