  ----- Original Message -----
  From: email @ redacted
  To: email @ redacted
  Sent: Sunday, June 04, 2006 2:32 PM
  Also, I'm having carpal tunnel surgery on Friday, and I need good arguments
  for being allowed to keep my pump on and being allowed to manage my own
   diabetes. When I was at the hospital for pre-op testing, the nurse
practitioner
  had no clue about how a pump worked.  I explained that if I'm  not eating, I
  don't give myself any extra insulin, just the background insulin  like
someone
   who uses lantus, and she said that I shouldn't be using any insulin that
day.
  Huh?  And run BGs how high then?

  She tried to get me to agree that it was ok for them to manage my diabetes,
  do the testing, and administer regular insulin, and I said I didn't need or
  want  that, that I could do it on my own.

  I'll only be knocked out for a very short period of time.

  I go to my regular doctor for medical clearance on Wednesday and can
   hopefully get him to fax over that I can manage my own diabetes. I'm
willing to
  run
  a temp basal for a few hours and run a little higher, but I'm  really not
  willing to let them tell me to remove the pump.  Ugh.

  Stacey