[IP] Insurance to approve CGMS

Sarah Dowdell said:
"Without insurance coverage, the MM systems work out to around $5000 a
year in supplies alone."

Well, my Dexcom can be "fooled" into re-using the same sensor for a
second (and even a 3rd, and IF YOU DARE, even a 4th !!!) 72-hour period.

Right now, I'm on the 10TH DAY with the same sensor... and the #s are
still as good as they were on the first 3 days.

Supposing I average 10 days each (it might go longer, but others might
not be this "lucky").  Sensor cost is $35 / 10 days = $3.50 per day.
Transmitters last, I'm told, about 6 months: $250 / 183 = $1.37 per day.
The actual CGMS box lasts, I'm told about a year: $500 / 365 is also $1.37.

So I'm running at no worse than $2275 per year: less than HALF your
figure. YMMV vary, and I've got no idea whether the Minimed can be
"fooled" like the Dexcom, or whether Minimed has any intention of
requesting a longer sensor approval from the FDA. (Dexcom has already
asked for 7 days, I've been told  AND read on the Web.)

Heck, the Dexcom's a much nicer machine to use anyway. FSCK the RT.