RE: [IP] correction factor/insulin sensitivity

From: Elizabeth  Blake
>>I pulled out my infusion set and had a bent cannula.  It was a Sof-Set ....

Liz -
 I used Sof-sets for about 6 years and last year started having problems with
the cannula bending all the time. I had had this problem in the past after I
started getting rashes and put the IV tape under my set rather than over it. I
found that if I put tape over it as well as under then this didn't happen. I
think without the tape on top sometimes the cannula pulls out a little and then
kinks when it goes back in. This sandwich method worked until Smith Nephew
changed their formula about a year ago and the IV tapes would not stick to each
other so would come off with the 1st shower. (I had a number of conversations
with them about it - the new tape with the rounded edges was not good about
sticking to each other) I bought some of the old square tapes on Ebay but then
in the fall started having trouble with bent cannula again. So I switched to the
Silhouette and I don't think I have had any kinks with it. The sites do seem to
get mild infections a little more than the!
  Sof-Se
 ts did unless it has to do with the medicine I'm on for rheumatoid arthritis
(Methotrexate injections and prednisone which supress immune system) but I've
been taking that for almost 2 years so don't think it would just start now.

 It's very frustrating to try to figure out your basals and corrections with all
the additional impacts to your blood sugar - many of which you may have little
control over. I would not change a correction ratio because it over corrected
once because there can be so many other issues (BG reading could be off, basals
could be off, etc). But since it keeps happening I definately would. Also I had
a question about doing the correction as a square wave. I don't have that option
on my Cosmo and I'm not sure I see an advantage in doing that.

Laurie
 Age 48 - Type 1- 32 years, pumping 7 years, with other autoimmune disorders and
sleep apnea. Daughter age 22 with Type 1 - 3 years on MDI
TheSubject: RE: [IP] correction factor/insulin sensitivity