Re: [IP] correction factor/insulin sensitivity

At 01:04 AM 6/3/2006, you wrote:
>Dear Elizabeth,
>
>While I know this does not directly answer your question, FWIW, I
>thought it might shed some light on your problem.
>I have found that for ME, when I am extremely high, say in the 300's
>to 400's, I need just a tad less insulin to correct than for just a
>"regular" high of like 200 or 240, if that makes any sense.  Since I
>don't run THAT high that often, I haven't really been able to test
>out this theory, but perhaps this is what you are experiencing.  If
>your correction factor works most other times, perhaps it is just
>when you are really high that slightly less correction is needed.

Antonio,

I've found (on MDI) the opposite was true for me.  It seemed that the
higher I was, the more insulin I needed.  My correction was
over-correcting on all highs, though.  Luckily I haven't had too many
really high ones but when I did I went too low after every correction.

I found my copy of Pumping Insulin and was reading the section on
corrections.  If I go by their 1800 rule, dividing 1800 by my TDD I
come up with 78.  Right now it's set to 55.  I've been chasing highs
all day and had two bad sets (Sof-Sets, in my hip).  I took the seond
SS out a little under 2 hours ago, gave up on my hips and put a Sil
in my upper abdomen.  I corrected my post-dinner high of 222 with the
Sil and an hour later I was 120.  I can't use these results to say if
my correction is set properly, because some of my dinner bolus did
get to me and my IOB is all messed up, because obviously not all of
the insulin made it in through the bent cannula.  I'm sure I'll drop
lower than 120 and I'll be testing again in a little while.

--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987