[IP] Night Shift

<<<And my work schedule concerning days off changes sometimes as short
notice as only 12 hours
notice that I have to work my normal "night off"... How can I schedule pump
training when personally, I ONLY HAVE as little as LESS THAN 24 HOURS
advance notice that I have to work on my SUPPOSED NIGHT OFF???>>>

I would suggest talking to your boss.  It sounds like your problem
scheduling pump training isn't so much night shift, but inconsistent and
unpredictable scheduling.  Explain that you're not trying to be difficult,
but that you really must know in advance what night you will be off so that
you can plan the pump training so that it won't interfere with your job.
Let your boss know that if your schedule is going to change at the last
minute, you won't be able reschedule your pump training and your boss would
have to make other arrangements for coverage since you won't be able to
safely perform your job, which is why you are trying to plan in advance when
the best time would be to schedule your training so that it doesn't come to
a last minute scramble.  I have a very hard time believing that everytime a
last minute change occurs, that everyone in that job is always able to work
with less than 24 hours notice.  What would you do if you had to go in for a
several hour medical or dental procedure?  It's the same sort of issue.

Why does your schedule change so frequently and so last minute?  Is it
because of what you do and is therefore unavoidable (last minute emergencies
and the like)?  Or is it just poor planning and scheduling (or complete lack
of redundency in a position so that if someone calls out sick you are
S.O.L.)?

You may just have to take a vacation day to go for pump training if the last
minute schedule problem is unavoidable (keep in mind that for day shifters,
pump training almost always requires using a vacation day because the
trainings usually only take place from 9-5 on a M-F, when day shifters
usually work).  The sleep issue is a concern, but if you can work out with
your boss when you will definitely be off, then it should be work-able.  If
you're drowsy at pump training, you're not going to be in serious danger
because you will be with people trained in diabetes care (so working the
night before is OK--you might even be able to squeeze in a short nap during
the day if your pump training is anything at all like mine was).  The other
thing to consider is that early on it might make sense to error on the high
side for a little while and slower lower your BGs into range so that you
don't risk severe lows.

It may also be possible to suggest to your diabetes team that you really
need to split the training up into smaller chunks (say maybe do an hour or
two at a time spread over a few weeks).  However, I know that with some pump
training, part of what happens is that you hook up and they watch you (and
your BG) for 6-8 hours to try to get your initial basals and boluses close
to correct (mine was that way--which is why you might actually be able to
nap).  That would be difficult to do in smaller chunks.  If that's the case,
then you might ask to be admitted into the hospital for observation during
training, which would give you a rock solid reason that you will not be able
to work that evening.

It is important to get the pump training because it will allow you to have
more flexibility with your work schedule, and it may help to let your boss
know this (assuming your boss is a reasonable person, which I know some are
not).

Best of luck!

Sarah, dx'92, pumping'00