[IP] correction factor/insulin sensitivity

I've been having problems with lows again so I e-mailed my CDE.  I
saw her last on April 17th and she made a bunch of changes to my
settings at that time.  So, I e-mailed her on Wednesday night and
yesterday she replied.  One of the things I asked about was my
sensitivity setting on my 715, which is set at 45, so 1 unit of
insulin should lower a high BG by 45.  However I think that number is
too low.  The only bad high I've had recently was last month when my
sisters & I visited our mother.  We went out to eat (Olive Garden,
not my ideal choice) and I overindulged.  Pasta, bread, salad with an
oil based dressing and *cheesecake*.  I had some chocolate monster,
which I shared with my niece (she didn't eat much, though).  Then I
had some of my sister's cheesecake.  My BGs were in range for hours
after but I knew they'd rise during the night.  I meant to set a temp
basal and totally forgot, and woke up at 406 around 6am the following
morning.  The pump recommended 5.8 units to correct.  An hour later I
was 202 and less than an hour after that I was 43.  So in just under
2 hours I dropped more than 350.

My CDE told me that I should leave it at 45, but do the correction as
a square wave over an hour.  That doesn't seem to make any sense to
me.  It seems like I'll still go too low, but it will just take a
little longer to get there.  Whose thinking is wrong, mine or my
CDE's?  Mostly the highs I've needed to correct are in the high
100's/low 200's and even then I'll find that I drop too much.  My IOB
time is set for 4 hours.  When I took the 5.8 units last month, that
meant I still had about 3 units left in my body and I was already at 43.

--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987