Re: [IP] Joslin 25-year certificate

>>> How do you get these?  I have been diabetic for 36 years.>>>

Joslin Diabetes Center awards a 25-year certificate for, you guessed it,
25 years of IDDM. ;) They give a bronze medal (actually a small
paperweight) for 50 years IDDM. At one time they gave a silver medal for
25 yrs but you had to go through all kinds of tests to prove no
complications. Drs balked at subjecting patients to unneeded tests for a
medal. They dropped the medal and now give a certificate for 25 years.
See: http://www.joslin.org/news/medals.shtml

For 50 years, you had/have to be warm and breathing. Joslin *tells* Eli
Lilly Co. and they give a sterling silver medallion on a stainless steel
chain recognizing 50 years of insulin therapy. Your name is engraved on
the back.
These medals can be seen on my picture trail of my BASH I had
celebrating 50 years of LIFE and SURVIVAL - not of DM! ;)

The 75-year medal is slightly larger than the 50-Year bronze medal and
is engraved on the back with the person's name and the year of
anniversary. They come with a shadowbox that is ready to display the
medal, and the box also has a spot where the name and date are engraved.

You need *proof* of your dx - but fill out the forms they send. My proof
was photocopied pages from the diary I was keeping at the time (covering
1/5 yrs) of my hospitalization. I also had previously requested some
information from the dx'ing laboratory and they sent lab tests w/my
name, the date, and hospital. The first BG was about 8 hrs after I
regained consciousness and it was 486. Joslin accepted the above as
proof of dx date.

Jan (47 y/o if you don't count the weekends), dx'd T-1 11/5/50, pmpg
8/23/83) & Bluda II (MM508 8/31/04)
Dialyzing since 7/8/02 http://maxpages.com/bludasue -
http://maxpages.com/TSLandCLIP -
 http://www.picturetrail.com/dmBASHpics (and EVOLUTION OF INSULIN PUMPS
with World's Youngest Pumper)

Oh, now I've got it . . . it appears that the fasarta modulates the
garbab in such a phase relationship that the thrimaleen is forced to
bast.  (from Between Planets by Robert Heinlein)