Re: [IP] EMT Training for diabetics

On 6/30/03 1:36 PM, "email @ redacted" <email @ redacted>
Demonstrated stellar typing skills  and mental acuity by writing:

> Interesting,  I just completed my EMT-Basic national certification and I
> am a bit surprised at what is being taught to new EMTs.  We are taught,
> the question for any diabetic should be "did you take your medicine
> today?" and "when did you last eat?".  The assumption is that if someone
> has not eaten for a while that they are having a diabetic emergency.  I
> don't know about everyone else, but my most likely time to have a
> hypoglycemic episode is 1.5 to 2.5 hours after a meal.  With Humalog and
> Novolog insulins, this is often the case.  This is usually due to
> inaccurate carb counting/estimating.    Also, taught to us in class
> was.... "diabetics are fragile people".

AAAACK! My fella's Brother in law was just accepted as a paramedic and
passed the exam and ll that. He told me how we were 'more delicate' and how
our blood will thin out, and yada, yada, yada... I swear I wanted to slug
him! I said "You haven't learned a ruddy thing Winston" but he maintains how
we are fragile. My fella said he wants to run a video cam on my typical day
of home repair, heavy lifting and power tools (G) to show Winston....who on
the other hand wouldn't know on end of a power saw from the other.

Be afraid. Be VERY afraid.

Please note:  beginning June 30, 2003, my email
address will be changed to <email @ redacted>

AOL-IM: Wyldceltic1

Jenny Sutherland