[IP] Re: Unexplained highs

Jason, When this sort of mystery develops for me ( and it does seem to
eventually happen to everyone) I will check two more things:(1) confirm that
the correct basals are set and(2) change the insulin bottle. I find it hard
to understand how insulin can go bad in a few days between reloads but some
people claim that a bottle switch cured their problem. If you just changed
bottles there is more reason to suspect the insulin potency.
    My personal rule is if after two successive unacceptable highs, with
little or no response from pumped boluses, I reach for a syringe. To me ,it
could be that in that vast , inter-linked system of hormones ( the endocrine
system)something is making the liver release (eventually) glucose. Maybe the
end of the cannula is in a mass of scar tissue that has impaired
circulation. When I ask, docs can't give a reason for the stubborn bg
    The latest issue of Diabetes Interview has a short article on this
problem but it is very short on answers. So far,I have found  the best
attempt to answer comes from Dr, Richard Bernstein ( Diabetes Solutions). He
has an excellent web site that gives extensive excerpts from this book and
gives you a good idea of how he treats this disease.        Peter