[IP] EMT Training for diabetics

Interesting,  I just completed my EMT-Basic national certification and I
am a bit surprised at what is being taught to new EMTs.  We are taught,
the question for any diabetic should be "did you take your medicine
today?" and "when did you last eat?".  The assumption is that if someone
has not eaten for a while that they are having a diabetic emergency.  I
don't know about everyone else, but my most likely time to have a
hypoglycemic episode is 1.5 to 2.5 hours after a meal.  With Humalog and
Novolog insulins, this is often the case.  This is usually due to
inaccurate carb counting/estimating.    Also, taught to us in class
was.... "diabetics are fragile people"...... "diabetics have multiple
health problems" ...... "children with diabetes have more problems that
adult diabetics" ..... etc.. etc....  It scares me a bit that EMTs are
being taught that diabetics are not able to take care of themselves and
this is now the EMTs responsibility.  I have never needed EMS in my 22
years of having diabetes, and the day that I need them I worry more about
the treatment that they are instructed to give me.  The answer to the
question "did you take your medicine today?" = Yes just seconds ago, I
take it continuously, and ...  "when did you last eat?" = 75 minutes ago.
According to the training, I should not be having a diabetic emergency.  I
hope that the EMS world can catch up with the new technology and educate
about pump therapy, log insulins, aggressive therapy, insulin sensitizers,
etc.  After all, we have come a long way since testing sugar in the urine,
exchange diets, 24 hour urine glucoses, and semi-quantative glucose
strips.  Heck, we don't even have to blot our glucose strips before
entering them into the glucometer anymore.   Come on EMS,  your falling