[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V7 #363

In a message dated 6/30/2003 9:58:52 AM Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Subject: [IP] Disappointed in the Discovery Channel--More DM stuff that
> seems wrong
> A few weeks ago we were all talking about the newspaper article where the
> kids
> saved the mother's life when she had a severe hypo and the reporter said she
> was in a diabetic coma. Well, last night on the Discovery Health channel on
> show called The Critical Hour, there was a case of a young man (24, I think)
> who was found lying on the street unconscious with no apparent wounds. It
> was
> decided that they should test his blood sugar and he read in the 30's. The
> voice-over kept saying he was found "in a diabetic coma". They also said
> several times that if his blood sugar wasn't raised quickly enough, he could
> have permanent brain damage. I don't know about that. I have had 30's and
> much
> lower and remained alert. And I sure hope I don't have brain damage
> (although
> I do have a very bad memory). When they did get his blood sugar high enough
> for him to come around, they kept saying that he must be a brittle diabetic
> because then he fought highs for the rest of the day. Well, injected glucose
> and an IV would do that, I would think. Although nothing was ever said about
> what type of insulin he took or how much, etc. The paramedic just said that
> his father was a diabetic and that it was a "brutal disease" and he sure
> hoped
> the kid didn't have brain damage now.
> I was sitting there thinking that the whole incident could have been
> explained
> better. I think that it was very confusing to the general public, since it
> was
> confusing to me. I wonder if they could have mentioned that the young man
> was
> running late for work/class and skipped breakfast and still took his
> injection, or if he had started an exercise routine, or what.
> I don't want people thinking that every time I get low, I drop into a
> "diabetic coma".
That is true. You are killing some of your brain cells. That is one of the
first things I was taught over 38 years ago. When you have a low glucose
 reaction you are depriving your brain cells of energy and ultimately oxygen, if
it is
severe enough. That's why it is so important to avoid low readings, if at al
possible, but of course we are also told to have as tight control as possible.
It is definitely walking a tightrope. Personally, I rather be a little high,
then to deal with the lows. but I guess I'm luckily as I have diabetes for 38
years without any complications. (knock on wood!)