Re: [IP] Temperature Restricts Pump

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 17:42:45 -0700 (PDT), gail d asked:
 >So, please tell me, why is it that temperature
 >restricts your pumping on those hot days?

First of all, the "Information For The Patient" packed in each box of
Humalog says:
Humalog should be stored in a refrigerator but not in the freezer. If
refrigeration is not possible, the bottle of Humalog that you are
currently using can be kept unrefrigerated, up to 28 days, as long as
it is kept as cool as possible (below 86 degrees F (30 degrees C) and
away from direct heat and light."

This isn't very helpful for us pump users. And Lilly has never been
helpful to pump users. They ignore the need of a large community of
Humalog users for useful information about the stability of Humalog in
a pump environment, and instead publish CYA info dictated by their

Both Gail and I have experimented, to try and find the real temperature
limits of Humalog. It sounds like Gail has been more aggressive than I
have. By education I am an electrical engineer, and most of my
experience before retiring was with computers, so I have a healthy
respect for product specifications, which is essentially what the Lilly
statement quoted above is.

"why is it that temperature restricts your pumping on those hot days?"

The Lilly statement (such as it is) tells me that high temperatures are
a problem for the stability of Humalog, and 60 years of using insulin
have taught me that the same is true for all insulins and insulin
analogs. The Lilly statement seems to say that 87 degrees F is too much
heat, but we all know that we can get away with higher temperatures
without experiencing any difficulty. But we're all different as far as
how far above 86 we are willing to experiment (YMMV). I don't ride when
it's 110F, and I seldom ride when it's 100F. I always wear my helmet,
and I always carry a large water bottle filled with energy drink, but
neither of those affects the temperature of the Humalog in my pump.

Tom Beatson
dx 12/1942, 506 1995, 508 2000