[IP] Disappointed in the Discovery Channel--More DM stuff that seems wrong

A few weeks ago we were all talking about the newspaper article where the kids
saved the mother's life when she had a severe hypo and the reporter said she
was in a diabetic coma. Well last night on the Discovery Health channel on a
show called The Critical Hour, there was a case of a young man (24, I think)
who was found lying on the street unconscious with no apparent wounds. It was
decided that they should test his blood sugar and he read in the 30's. The
voice-over kept saying he was found "in a diabetic coma". They also said
several times that if his blood sugar wasn't raised quickly enough, he could
have permanent brain damage. I don't know about that. I have had 30's and much
lower and remained alert. And I sure hope I don't have brain damage (although
I do have a very bad memory). When they did get his blood sugar high enough
for him to come around, they kept saying that he must be a brittle diabetic
because then he fought highs for the rest of the day. Well, injected glucose
and an IV would do that, I would think. Although nothing was ever said about
what type of insulin he took or how much, etc. The paramedic just said that
his father was a diabetic and that it was a "brutal disease" and he sure hoped
the kid didn't have brain damage now.
I was sitting there thinking that the whole incident could have been explained
better. I think that it was very confusing to the general public, since it was
confusing to me. I wonder if they could have mentioned that the young man was
running late for work/class and skipped breakfast and still took his
injection, or if he had started an exercise routine, or what.
I don't want people thinking that every time I get low, I drop into a
"diabetic coma".

And--does anyone know about the brain damage thing? They said several times
that if his blood sugar wasn't raised quickly enough he could have
irreversible brain damage.

Sherry C
>From the massive city of Bowling Green, KY
Who thought the Discovery Channel was smarter than that