[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V7 #362

 Yessi Palmer wrote, in part:
> I had to stay in the hospital for 3 days for my training, and now that I'm
> home eating healthy high fiber, low glycemic value food instead of the
> white bread and boxed cereal that the hospital fed me, I'm finding my
> bolusing may a little too high.  This may also have something to do with
> fact that now I'm an active part of the real world instead of sitting on
> hospital bed watching TV and reading magazines.

Yep, that ain't no good to sit in a hospital bed to set basals and boluses
and get regulated - somewhat. Twenty years ago I was entered in the hospital
for a week to get regulated with a pump. It was quite different then and
they encouraged me to even leave the hospital to shop, go to church, etc.
and have a normal life as long as I returned on time for each of my 7 blood
tests a day. I was cutting the strips then (meters tooooo expensive to own)
and comparing them to a chart. They would match *my* results to the lab to
see how accurate I was - pretty close! The pumps then had one only basal
rate for the entire day and delivered in whole units only, meaning I got one
unit about every 65 minutes. Many advances have come along with pumps, as
well as techniques from those early days and I'm surprised they would have a
patient sit in a hospital, very inactive. Best wishes to you.

I'm going to sit here and wait so opportunity will know where to find me
when it's time to change the world ~ Calvin (& Hobbes)