[IP] NJ NJO Young Hero

NJ NJO Young Hero
The Associated Press

BRIDGETON, N.J. - An 8-year-old boy whose aunt went into diabetic shock while
driving managed to get his foot on the brake and park the car, authorities

Brandon DiMatties of Williamstown was being called a hero for taking control
of the sport utility vehicle Thursday afternoon.

"He's one brave little boy," Leonard Gravely of the Upper Deerfield Emergency
Medical Service told the Bridgeton News. "In my nine years as an EMT, I've
never seen a hero quite like this."

Collette DiMatties became disoriented and lost control of the car as she
 drove along Route 552, police said. Witnesses said the car was going about 90
nearly hit two cars and ran a stop sign.

"We then received a call that an SUV was pulled over near Bianco's Body Shop
with a young boy in it and a woman slumped over the wheel," said Trooper
Anthony Mangelli of the Bridgeton barracks.

The woman was in severe diabetic shock, with a blood glucose level in the
20s, authorities said. The normal level is between 80 and 120.

Brandon knew to stop his aunt's insulin pump from releasing any more
 medication into her system, said his mother, Holly DiMatties, who also has

The aunt was treated at a hospital and released the same day.

"He's usually very shy but told me later how he was able to get the car to
 stop," Holly DiMatties said. "He's always liked fooling around in the car. He's
a very smart little boy."