[IP] Medicare insulin coverage

Yesterday, I received a call from my local Walgreens Pharmacy, that my
prescription for Novolog was ready for pickup. When I dropped off the
prescription last Thursday, they had no idea how long it would take
because I was "the first one" ever to apply for Medicare insulin
coverage through their store. They explained the procedure. They fax my
prescription and Letter of Medical Necessity (the one about test
strips, etc.) to headquarters in Illinois. Then, headquarters faxes a
new form to my doctor about my need for insulin to be administered by
the pump. When they get that signed letter back, headquarters notifies
my local Wallgreens to fill the prescription and the cost determined by
the Medicare allowance, and my Medigap supplemental insurance. I paid
$9.16 for 2 vials of Novolog which would normally cost $137.89 !!! All
this after 3 other pharmacies / pharmacy managers told me that "no way
does Medicare cover insulin cost", even though the Medicare manual says
it does! The tough part is to convince the pharmacist that insulin IS
covered by Medicare "ONLY if administered by insulin pump".

As a result of posting a query on this list, I was guided through this
complicated process by a fellow pumper and able overcome the
pharmacist's resistance. Just another example of helping each other. I
am thankful for this list; grateful to those who give to others their
knowledge and experience; indebted to all those who are able, and
choose to lend their financial support. I do.