[IP] I am having problems getting individual pay insurance

I have been rejected by Kaiser Permanente because of diabetes (perfectly
legal is DC) for self pay insurance.  I can appeal with a letter outlining
       1.   My reasons for requesting the appeal
       2.   Additional documentation from a licensed health care provider to
support my appeal

Does anyone have any ideas about what I can say or what would pursuade them
to cover me?

Has anyone else found a carrier that does not reject on the basis of a
pre-existing, chronic condition?  What can I do to get insurance?

Any comments/suggestions would be welcome.  You can also reply to