Re: [IP] Life's Fairness and Standing In Line

In a message dated 6/20/2003 9:51:01 PM Alaskan Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:
> At 11:30 AM 6/20/03, Chance wrote:
> >There are cases when individuals need to be taken to the front of the line
> >or afforded certain accommodations, that we can not question this at all.
> >But be glad that most of us as individuals with this disease can stand in
> >line.  Remember those that cannot.

I did Disneyworld, Seaworld and Busch Gardens last October. While I have
mobility, I am not able to stand still for long periods of time (moving is
 actually better), or walking long distances. And when you talk Disneyworld, it
is a
good idea to be in training for several months before you go <grin>. I had a
choice of using my own two feet, realizing that my fun and enjoyment would be
 diminished by noon due to pain and exhaustion, or swallowing my pride and using
an electric wheelchair.

I love Disney, got real and used the chair. I did not get a special pass, but
the attendant at the beginning to each venue gave me directions. Some
 rides/shows you do have to use a special access as they are not wheelchair
ready. But
at least 85% of the time, you are directed to get in the same line with
 everyone else. The lines/ropes are large enough to accomodate the electric
(and had no problem with U turns/corners). When the lines were short enough, I
walked like everyone else or used the Fast Pass if the line was long.

The same was true at Busch Gardens and SeaWorld. (Though at SeaWorld, the
cart kept dying and had to send for a new one.....they gave me a refund of the
rental cost due to this). At Busch Gardens....the first half of the day it
poured rain.....had a blast anyway with no electric chair problems. The only
 problem I had there was with the Log Flume ride. You basically sit in the
bottom of
a "hollowed out log" and it was difficult with the lack of mobility to get out
as you can't get your feet under you easily.

Good luck with your vacation. Have fun, do what you have to do so that you
can enjoy your trip safely and be sure to ride the Tower of Terror at Disney
World's MGM Studio Park. The name is worse than the ride. Loved the ride!