Re: [IP] Life's Fairness and Standing In Line - MORE PERSPECTIVE

I agree with RoseLea.  I recommend Deb Butterfield's book: "Showdown with
Diabetes"  You can get it on Barnes & Noble website (www.bn.com) for like $6
right now.  The book opened my eyes to some new perspectives.  There's a
part in it that stands out in my mind- I can't quote obviously, but
something about today's dialysis patients and amputees are yeterday's
healthy diabetics who believed if they monitor bloodsugars, eat right, and
take tons of shots/pumping, then they'll be fine.  Ms. Butterfield
poignantly points out that diabetes isn't nearly the manageable disease that
the medical establishment tells us it is, and indeed, I think I particularly
liked this book because it helped me reflect upon my own experiences, and I
realize that the myth of diabetes being manageable is my strong coping
mechanism.  I have never hidden diabetes and I constantly educate people
about it and tell them "oh it's nothing, I just check my sugar often and
push some buttons on my pump.  I'm fine" to avoid pity or discrimination.
But this book reminds me that even to myself, it's a farce, many days I do
everything I can and am 'supposed' to do, and the BG's still go out of
whack.  This may not be everybody's myth, but it's certainly a myth that I
live by and helps me go along.  Sometimes, I just have to acknowledge this
to myself.  I'll still continue to do my best, and educate people and fight
discrimination.  But I thought I'd share this with you all because you might
find the book interesting as well.  Oh, and I want to remind people to
please be sensitive to one another and recognize our own myths and unique
experiences of diabetes, coping, and management.

OK, off my social work soap box :)  Peace out! -Brian