Re: [IP] not knowing about diabetes-Rodney (reps wearing pumps)

Hey Rodney,

  What you said had a lot of merit.  But I'm wondering if as a parent of a
young child who has had diabetes for over half of his life now, if that might
make me someone who has atleast some kind of idea of what it is that someone
with diabetes goes through???

Wearing a pump does not make someone know more about being diabetic but it
does give them some knowledge on what it means to have a pump attached to you
 24/7, the logistics of it all. I know when I wore Josh's backup for two weeks,
I also carried a meter and 'checked my BGs' and 'bolused' (saline) at Josh's
ratios and had to write everything down.  Having that pump on made me VERY
 aware of every time I ate, every time I drank something, how I slept at night,
I wore my clothes.

So you are right Rodney, I might not have diabetes, and I might not
 experience the physical realities of what goes on with highs and lows but after
6 years
of helping my son deal with all of that I think (mind you I said I 'think') I
might have a pretty fair understanding of what it is that all diabetics go
through each and every day.

Sorry for the soap box.....I'm stepping down now!

mom to Joshua