[IP] cold batteries

> I have always stored my pump batteries in the frig.  Good or bad?

Bad, very very bad! Go to your room. It IS OK to store them in he FRIDGE,

Years ago (LONG before you were born -- I am VERY old) the ONLY batteries
for stuff like flashlights and transistor radios were zinc carbon cells and
if they were NOT kept in a very cool environment they would self discharge
and "go bad" in a matter of months. They often went bad on the shelves of
the stores that sold them, too.

With the advent of different chemistries for cells such as silver, and
alkaline and not so long ago mercury, the cells would self discharge at a
much much slower rate. The rate does decrease a little in the refrigerator
so they WILL last longer if kept below forty degrees F., but the difference
for an alkaline cell (those are what we use in our pumps and what we use in
our flashlights these days almost exclusively) would meant that it would
only last five years instead of six years.

So, keep it in the refrigerator if you wish (hey, if that is where you are
used to looking for them that is a good enough reason to store them there).
It definitely will not harm them. It IS a good idea to let them warm up to
room temperature before USING them because when cold they use up more of
their chemistry to make current.

Nick Trubov
and all the little Trubovs
Lorree, Eupie & Corbin