Re: [IP] Travelling with the pump

** Reply to message from email @ redacted (insulin-pumpers-digest) on
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 12:51:45 -0700

> Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 18:09:43 +0200
> From: "Bob Lucid" <email @ redacted>
> Subject: [IP] Travelling with the pump
> Hello!
> Does anybody know where to download an examplary document to be signed by a
> physician, that is sufficient to pass the gates at an US airport with a pump
> and supply?
> I want to travel from Europe to USA and have to change my flight in LA. I
> also have to check in to return.
> I need to suggest something to my physician.
> Thank you for your help!
> Bob

I recently flew through Miami International Airport (a horror story which
resulted in a 4-page letter to MIA and 3 airlines :-( and found the current TSA
folk a bit more clueful than their predecessors; being an amputee I was in a
wheelchair (I don't _really_ need it but for various reasons it makes life
easier) and the TSA guy searching me said "Oh that's an insulin pump" and
proceeded to check other things...  Since no one has ever bothered to ask about
any sort of documentation whatsoever, I've stopped carrying any.  (Although I
have put an empty Humalog box with a pharmacy Rx label in my carryon, but
no-one ever asked to see that either.  But YMMV.)

The current Conventional Wisdom is that since physicians' letters are so easily
forgeable, they aren't worth the trouble.  The ADA website has the most current

Richard G. Larson, Professor                   (312)996-8616
                   Director Undergrad. Studies (312)413-2171
Dept of Math., Stat., and Comp. Sci.,  U. of Ill. at Chicago
851 S. Morgan Street,    M/C 249,      Chicago IL 60607-7045