[IP] Low carb diet for kids

Has anyone tried a low carb diet with children?  My 12 year old son
(pre-puberty, very thin) loves carbs, especially at breakfast.  I thought I
might try cutting back on the number of grams of carbohydrates to see if his
blood sugars improve.  But I am having a hard time coming up with lower carb
versions of his favorite breakfast foods- pop tarts (ugh, I know...), toast,
bagels, cereal.  He's not a big fan of eggs, though will eat them if we're
doing a fasting level.  I'm also trying to stock the kitchen with lower
glycemic foods that kids like.  Any suggestions?  Thanks. Kathy