Re: [IP] Any Nurses with Type 1? - very long

 >>Any nurses on the list who can share what it's been like to be one while also
having diabetes and how they have coped with the challenges??

Yes, I admit it, I am A Registered Nurse who is a Diabetic.
(And yes, I am NOT Policticly Correct)

Nursing is a love / hate relationship.
It can be very rewarding to be able to help other people.
 It can also be very frustrating to try to help people who don't want to be
helped or worse, expect YOU to make them better without even trying to
participate themselves ("What, you expect ME to wipe my own butt???,
or No, I don't know what medication on, that's your job")

The hours are long, the shifts terrible.
The hospitals can consider you a liability rather than an asset.
The starting pay looks good, but the salary compression is staggering.
 I hate the mandatory Overtime and being exposed to every disease known to
mankind (and probably some not known yet) is scary.
 I remember taking care of people with AIDS prior to this disease being
discovered and long before universal precautions were used.

after 20 years,
I can say I made a difference in many lives.
And that usually makes everything else trivial.

As for being a Diabetic Nurse (How about that for a label???)

I was diagnosed as having Type 1 diabetes 2 years ago.
It was my Nursing Knowledge that helped me know my symptoms.
My Endocrinologist says I'm the only Diabetic he has that was  self-diagnosed.

 Being a Nurse also got me into the Chairman of the Endocrinology Department
even though he was not accepting new patients.
 It also gets me plenty of samples and the latest toys from the Reps and the
I also never have a problem getting an appointment.

 I work the Evening Shift in a very busy Emergency Department of a large
University Hospital.
 I am always VERY Busy, and Usually Stressed (After 20 years, you don't sweat
the small....Stuff).
 I rarely get to eat dinner during an 8 your shift unless a Rep drops off Pizza
or a Journal Club drops off leftovers.
Else its Graham Crackers, glucose tablets or leftovers from patient's trays.
Prior to pumping, Hypos were a nightly occurance.
 I once took care of a guy who showed up by Ambulance with a BS of 48 while mine
was only 44.
Live is much better with a pump.
I still go low at work (Once to 32) but it's not a nightly occurance.

Nursing is hard work and having Diabetes makes it even harder.
It is very doable though.
 You have to remember you have other people's lives in your hands and you cannot
take chances.
I test prior to leaving for work.
I test prior to starting work.
I test EVERY 2 hours during work and whenever I feel "Different"
if I get dizzy, a dry mouth, pissed off, fuzzy headed, etc, I test.
I also test right before traumas, cardiac arrests, and train wrecks arrive.
Everything must wait until I Test.
No, "I'm busy, I'll test as soon as I Can"
 I also know I need help from my fellow nurses and occasionally even a lowly
Resident from time to time.
Superman died 2 years ago.

Tell your daughter to look at Nursing.
It's a good Profession, but it's also a hard Profession.
Make sure she looks into it with both eyes open.
And tell her Diabetes is a Disease, not an excuse.

Good luck
John, RN and his nursing Paradigm too

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!