Re: [IP] Any Nurses with Type 1?

In a message dated 6/17/03 4:24:40 PM Pacific Daylight Time, email @ redacted

> Any nurses on the list who can share what it's been like to be one while
> also
> having diabetes and how they have coped with the challenges?

   I'm a Psych. Tech., which is one step down from an RN in the field of
 psychiatric nursing here in Calif. I've been working in a state center for the
developmentally disabled for the last 14 years.  I don't know if it has to do
 with my working environment and the caring people I work with, but I have never
been discriminated against, and because I work on a skilled nursing residence
with several diabetic residents and staff, we all kind of look out for each
 other and people know right away if there's something wrong with me and will
me if I need sugar, and they will cover for me if I'm right in the middle of
something that I can't stop, like passing meds and trying to get everyone
 before they go off to school. Some of the residents are curious about that
tube that peeks out sometimes, although I try to keep it tucked into my
 pants. It's been pulled on a couple times, but never pulled out. When I got my
pump in 6-02, everyone was so supportive, and many have thanked me for telling
them about it.

Debz & Blue Cheer (MM508), diagnosed 4-72.