[IP] From ADA Deltec

Pumpers and Friends,
    I just got home from ADA... the bus trip from he** but it was GREAT to
meet other IP'ers ... sorry I didn't get to meet with everyone :-( . Saw
some new things and products ...some I can't talk about but big things going
on in the pump world and diabetes. I got this PR so I know I can talk about
it. I got the time to work with this setup from Deltec... very cool...  and
yes if you have a Cozmo now! there is a plan in the works so you can get it
too... Watch for a Chat post for more info.
    Other pump makers are working on new things also... can't tell but...
not a CURE let!!! but closing the loop is coming sooner ... so now I beleive
it will be soon... not "in 3 to 5 yrs" I have hope for everyone.

So on to Deltec PR

                            REMEMBER TO SMILE AND BE HAPPY

Pumping Convenience Into Your Life . . .
Deltec's New CozMoreT Insulin Technology System Revolutionizes Diabetes
First-ever, all-in-one insulin pump and blood glucose meter makes managing
diabetes easier than ever
ST. PAUL, MINN. - June 10, 2003 - Deltec introduces the CozMoreT Insulin
Technology System, the first all-in-one smart insulin pump and blood glucose
monitoring system that helps people with diabetes take charge of their daily
diabetes management. The system will be introduced at the American Diabetes
Association's 63rd Scientific Sessions, June 13-17, New Orleans (Deltec
Booth #2259).
The CozMoreT Insulin Technology System is a collaborative effort between
Deltec, creator of the Deltec CozmoT Personal Insulin Pump, and TheraSense,
manufacturer of the FreeStyle. Blood Glucose Monitoring System. As the first
and only all-in-one insulin pump and blood glucose monitor, the CozMoreT
Insulin Technology System gives users "real-time" glucose data and insulin
delivery options in one place for quick and easy access.
"The CozMoreT Insulin Technology System blends two state-of-the-art
products - The Deltec CozmoT insulin pump, the premier choice among insulin
pump users, and the FreeStyle. blood glucose monitoring system, a virtually
painless glucose testing alternative - to create a revolution in diabetes
management," said Rod Kellogg, vice president and general manager, Deltec.
"This merging of great products and the resulting innovative technology
promises to lighten the cumbersome routine people with diabetes go through
on a daily basis."
By combining premier insulin pump and blood glucose testing technology,
Deltec and TheraSense have made diabetes management a more portable,
hassle-free routine for more than 255,000 insulin pump users in the U.S. "As
a leader in blood glucose monitoring technology, we're constantly looking
for ways to eliminate barriers to better diabetes management and improve the
quality of life for people with diabetes," said Mark Lortz, president and
CEO, TheraSense.
"With the help of FreeStyle's Nano-sampleT technology and our advances in
test accuracy, we believe the CozMoreT Insulin Technology System can
significantly change the way that people manage their diabetes on a daily
CozMoreT System components include:
Deltec CozmoT Personal Insulin Pump - an insulin pump with advanced
technology and easy-to-use features that helps people with diabetes more
accurately regulate their insulin usage, increasing their health and quality
of life.
CoZmonitorT Blood Glucose Monitoring System - a virtually painless blood
glucose monitoring system powered by TheraSense FreeStyle. technology, which
gives users accurate and precise blood glucose results with a 0.3 microliter
sample - a blood drop about the size of a pinhead.
CoZmanagerT PC Communications System - a complete software program that
links the CozMoreT System with a computer, allowing users to personalize the
system to their lifestyle, as well as track and review histories on more
than 2,000 system "events."
How the CozMoreT System works:
The CozMoreT System is both lightweight and easy to use. First, users lance
their fingertip or a less painful, alternate testing site (the forearm,
upper arm, thigh, calf or fleshy part of the hand) with a FreeStyle. Lancing
device. Next, they insert the FreeStyle. Test Strip into the CoZmonitorT
System, which is attached to the Deltec CozmoT Insulin Pump.
The CoZmonitorT System automatically transfers the blood glucose information
to the Deltec CozmoT Pump through an infrared port. If the user's blood
glucose level is higher than normal, he or she can go directly to the bolus
menu to correct it without having to manually re-enter the blood glucose
value, ensuring more consistent insulin delivery.
In addition, blood glucose results are combined with insulin delivery data
and stored in the Deltec CozmoT Insulin Pump's history log to provide a
complete picture of the user's diabetes management, allowing them to be more
proactive in their insulin decisions. The system's central data storage
capabilities also allow users to go through fewer steps and therapy
calculations - reducing the risk of data or transcription errors.
Because insulin pump therapy requires more frequent blood glucose testing,
it's not unusual for a typical user to check his or her glucose levels six
to eight times a day or more. The CozMoreT System's small, compact size
makes it easier for pump users to carry everything necessary to manage their
diabetes, eliminating the need for them to store and/or carry around
multiple blood glucose meters.
Deltec has submitted a 510(k) application to the FDA for clearance, and the
first CozMoreT System units are expected to be available after January 2004.
Deltec is a world leader in the design, manufacture and distribution of
medical devices used in ambulatory infusion therapy, including ambulatory
infusion pumps, large volume infusion pumps, implantable access systems,
dialysis and infusion catheters, needles and insulin delivery systems.
Headquartered in St. Paul, Minn., Deltec is part of the medical division of
Smiths Group plc, London, and is committed to developing the highest
quality, most reliable products to provide innovative, convenient and
cost-effective drug delivery worldwide. Visit us at www.deltec.com.
TheraSense develops, manufactures and sells easy-to-use glucose monitoring
systems that dramatically reduce the pain of testing for people with
diabetes. TheraSense began selling its first product, the FreeStyle. Blood
Glucose Monitoring System, in June 2000. The FreeStyle. system has wide
distribution in the United States through national retailers including
Walgreens, Wal-Mart, CVS, Eckerd and Rite Aid. The TheraSense headquarters
and test strip manufacturing facility are located in Alameda, California.
Visit us at www.therasense.com.