[IP] Re: Question about telling people at work

>>>I am going to be teaching 8th grade Mathematics in the fall
(Algebra, and Pre-Algebra)and am trying to figure out if I should tell my
students I am diabetic?  How I should tell them?  When I should tell them?
What should I tell them?>>>

As I said in a previous post, I didn't see teachers as real human beings -
they were, well, teachers. I was 16 when it hit me they were humans with
real lives - not some programmed entity. ;-)  The 8th graders are not 16 for
a few more years and I think if you tell them, it will *humanize* you - with
a real life and real problems. They probably think they are the only ones
with problems and here this teacher not only is sharing knowledge, but has a
life to deal with as well. I believe you already mentioned about using your
pumping calculations in your lessons. I think this is your best route. It
will *casually* bring in what this beeper is all about, yet show how a
chronic disease requires math.

Not making a big deal of it (although it can be) will not impact them
negatively. Surely some of them may be living with an insulin user at home
and this may even be an introduction to a device they have not yet come

When should you tell them? I would think as soon as possible, working it
into a lesson - not some dramatic announcement that could eat up a lot of
algebra time. Then, periodically as the lessons present themselves, bring it
in again as refreshers. These are young, impressionable minds that you can
influence for the rest of their lives with proper information that may
dispel some misinformation already ingrained. Some of them may become
journalists and write a story correctly! ;-)

Do the math....count your blessings.