Re: [IP] Question about telling people at work

On 6/17/03 7:27 AM, "Sherry Nolan" <email @ redacted>
Demonstrated stellar typing skills  and mental acuity by writing:

> Seriously, I am going to be teaching 8th grade Mathematics in the fall
> (Algebra, and Pre-Algebra)and am trying to figure out if I should tell my
> students I am diabetic?  How I should tell them?  When I should tell them?
> What should I tell them?
> In the past I always told a few people at the workplace.  Typically the
> people I sat around, or the people I traveled with.  I am not shy about
> talking about my diabetes, but I don't usually advertise it either.  I am
> not ashamed of being diabetic, but I do feel that people look at me
> differently once they find out.  The main reason I am thinking of telling
> the students is because I wear a pump.  I like to wear it on my waist band,
> but that makes it look more like a beeper which is a big no-no in the public
> schools.  I think if I explain it and get it out of the way that would be
> better.
> Any suggestions?
> -- Sherry
> dxd 8/80 pump 12/99 MM508

Actually, it would be better if you did tell, even a couple of students. I
know it's probably unlikely, but what if you do need assistance one day? No
one would know what the deal was and confusion etc would abound...

We had a Psych teacher in college, and in H.S. there were 3 Teachers on
campus I knew of.

Most students thought it was nothing to worry about, but if one of the
teachers conked out or something, at least we all knew what -if anything- to
tell the EMT's....The need never arose at any rate while I was there.

-- Times are bad. Children no longer obey their parents, and everyone is
writing a book.
     - All from Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106 - 43 BC

AOL-IM: Wyldceltic1

Jenny Sutherland