Re: [IP] Re: Getting too Fat

In a message dated 6/16/2003 2:35:46 PM Central Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Julie,
> It sure sounds like you need to do some basal testing. That means cutting
> back on eating food should make no difference to your BGs since you don't
> bolus for what is not eaten.

This is what the doctors have told me: That when you are under better control
it is natural to gain weight. Jan, you are correct that it could be the basal
rates being set to high, but that may not be the whole story. The doctors i
have seen (not all endos or diabetes related) have all commented that weight
gain is very common when one's control is improved. From what I have gathered
anytime somebody goes on the pump their control is improved, (mine sure was)
thus many gain weight.

When I went back on the pump in august I had an A1C of around 12 2 months
 post pump I had an A1c of 7 , 4 months post pump 6.5. During this time period I
easily gained 15 pounds. Being 22 and overweight is no fun. When I went on the
pump in 1992 I really didn't gain a whole lot of weight but then again i was
only 11 and my metabolism was much better.

I suggest talking to your endo, cde, nutritionist, ect and seek help and
advice. It might not be your basal rights, but then again it could be.

Just a thought

dxd age 7 1988 pumping 1992