[IP] Re: the atkins diet?

From: "Jan Clinthorne" <email @ redacted>

snip>>There is a lot that the experts don't
know!  My blood work is better than its ever been.  My cho. is 145, my A1c
is 5.2.<<

Actually, many of the "experts" are coming around to support (or at
least not speak out against) the Atkins Diet.  There are now
independent studies which support Dr. Atkins and his diet plan.
These are short-term studies, though, as the medical community has
only recently given it the attention it deserves.  The studies are
unanimous in favor of it short-term.  Many of them will now follow it
long-term to be sure it is as effective and safe as it is short-term.
Dr. Atkins practice and his own studies have tracked low-carbing long
term with the same end result as the short term studies have
concluded...that you lose weight, improve or eradicate many diseases
and ailments, have more energy, improve cholesterol (lower total +
increase HDL, lower LDL), lower blood pressure, lower blood sugars,
plus lots more.  If interested, go to
http://atkins.com/science/index.html and read the studies.

The USDA's Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion have conceded
that the current food pyramid needs revised (which the Atkins diet
has helped bring to the forefront) and are in the process of
reassessing it.

It isn't expected to be complete until 2004-05.  I think we'll see a
lot of Atkins low-carb influence in the revised version.

The food pyramid was never officially researched or studied before
the FDA adopted it as scientific.  Many people don't realize that.
Instead of one of the many independent federal agencies established
to monitor and protect our health, the Dept of Agriculture (the
agency responsible for promoting the products of American
agribusiness) is responsible for it, thus serving two masters.  This
can be tricky - especially when one of them includes persuasive and
well-connected representatives of the formidable meat, dairy and
sugar industries. The end result of their tug-of-war is a set of
positive, feel-good; all-inclusive recommendations that completely
distort what could be the single most important tool for improving
the health of the nation.  At best, the USDA Pyramid offers
indecisive, scientifically unfounded advice on an absolutely vital
topic - what to eat. At worst, the misinformation it offers
contributes to overweight, poor health, and unnecessary early deaths.
Researchers should not have to negotiate with any special interest

Cindy, mom to 16 y/o Noah, dx age 9, pumping since 6/99