[IP] Re: prenatal vitamin question.

   Of course, as others have suggested,  your OB-GYN  is the one to ask
about when you should start taking prenatal vitamins They are recommended
for all women who are planning to conceive, and often recommended for women
of child-bearing age who are not actively thinking about conception since a
large percentage of pregnancies are not planned, (not just women with
diabetes) because neural tube defects occur during the first 28 days after
conception, often before a woman is aware she is pregnant.
   I want to comment on the iron level in prenatal vitamins.  There are
about 30 mgms of iron in most brands of prenatal vitamins. Compare this to
the 325 mgms of iron in most iron supplements and it is not a "tremendous"
amount of iron. Pregnancy in itself can cause  constipation and taking even
30 mgms extra a day might add to this effect in some women, but it is a
relatively small dose. Again, consult your own medical team.