Re: [IP] Dawn Phenom, sigh

Welcome to the dawn/sleep phenom treadmill.

This one of my biggest reasons for going on the pump.

If I stay awake all night, I don't have any issues.  It's not until I actually
fall asleep that all hell breaks loose with my blood sugar.

What I've found to work best is to go to bed about the same time everynight,
not to eat anything loaded with fat before going to bed, AND increasing my
basal rates from bedtime to about 2AM. I'm usually in bed by 10pm, so I jump
my basal from 1.4u/h to 2.0 u/h for first 4 hours I'm asleep.  Seems to work
most of the time.

It was my birthday yesterday and I had a piece of cake with some icecream later
than I usually eat (8pm) and was high all night as a result, even with a
6.7u bolus right before falling asleep.  I woke up 20 points higher than when
I get to bed (263).  That late  bolus should have taken me from 243 -> 42 (I
know, that's low, but I adjusted for the fact that I'm insulin resistant with
higher sugars).

It's never perfect, but works about 90% of the time if I stick to my rules.  =(

I'm not going to say YMMV, because we all should know that people aren't
homogenous invariable automatons.  =P