While I agree that drivers need to be safe and the state, I'm sure, is
trying whichever way it can to keep it that way in their own dim-witted
diabetes-unaware way ---- I have to disagree with the "driving is a
privilege" thing.

I think that phrase was started in the 60's by someone in DMV who was
trying to control drunk driving. The truth of the matter is that driving is
NOT a "privilege", it is a down right necessity. It's totally ridiculous to
think otherwise. And most especially in rural areas where you need to get
to a job. Like I said, here in NM, I have to drive to Albuquerque which is
20 miles one way. There are only 2 million people in the entire state, and
one million of them are in Albuquerque. That's where all the businesses and
jobs are.

Just think of the first settlers in the west - they used horse - they HAD
to be able to get around. Just think of going up to one of them and saying
"oh yeah riding a horse is a privilege". Sure it's not the same medium of
travel but it's the same necessity.