[IP] re: high temperture on humalog

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 00:03:55 EDT, Irwin (email @ redacted) wrote:
 >>Recently,  my refrigerator has gone on the blink,  and the
temperature was 53
degrees for three days before the repairman came to fix it.  I am now
  wondering if my three new boxes of humalog vials may have been
Also, I am in Arizona,  and it has been known to get warm here a bit in
the summers.
Like 110!!  I am wondering if I need to change my cartridge every time I
  change a set (like every 2 1/2 days to 3 days), or if I could go for
five days
on a cartridge. <<

53 degrees F will not hurt Humalog. Room temperature for 30 days is
supposed to be ok for Humalog. I have lived in Phoenix for more than 40
years and have never had a problem with insulin deteriorating in the
heat, and that includes Humalog since 1996. Of course, if you push
things and stay outside for a long time in the hottest part of the day,
you will probably have lots of trouble. I can't say anything about
cartridges, but I put 300u in the syringe and it lasts for 6 days
before it is used up. This includes set changes every 2-3 days. I ride
my bicycle (with my pump) for 3 to 4 hours at least once a week
throughout the summer, but it's always 6-10AM when I ride.

Tom Beatson
dx 12/1942, 506 1995, 508 2000