Re: [IP] Driver's License: NJ, NC, and MA (long)

When I got my licence for NJ, they didn't ask and I didn't tell.  This was
my first licence and I had to take the driving test as well as the written.

When I moved to NC, they didn't ask either, but I did have to take the
written test and the sign test.  Much easier then the written test in NJ I
might add.  :-)

When I moved to MA, I had to exchange my NC license for the MA one.  No
questions asked.  I renewed my license this year (5 years) and the renewal
application did ask if I had a health condition that could impair my
driving.  I checked "no".  My reasoning is that I am very anal about testing
my blood sugar before driving anywhere.  It has to be above 100 or I wait or
have my husband drive me.  If I am driving long distances I will test every
hour or two to make sure I am ok, and ANY time I feel the slightest bit off.
I have never been in an accident that was due to low blood sugar.

However, back in 1999, when I was still on Regular insulin, I got into the
habit of taking my morning insulin before driving to work (~30 min) and then
eating breakfast as soon as I got in.  This worked well for my schedule at
work, as well as taking my insulin at least 30 minutes before a meal.  My bg
before leaving the house was 124.  That morning we had blizzard like
weather.  The snow was pounding down and visability wasn't great.  I drove
back roads to that job and the going was very slow.  I was driving about 10
mph on a 35 mph road.  While turning a curve, my wheels hit black ice and
the car refused to turn, and I ended up flipping the car on the opposite
side of the road.  Witnesses who stopped behind me said that it looked like
a movie since the car flipped in slow motion (I did not hit another car).
When I got out of the car I was in shock but had the sense to grab my meter
kit.  I tested and was 144.  After the scene was cleared they took me to the
police station and I called my husband to pick me up.  I was in such shock
it didn't occur to me that I had taken my insulin and needed to eat.  They
had me wait in this waiting room that was pretty much abandoned.  Needless
to say, my blood sugar dropped pretty rapidly and when my husband arrived I
wasn't in good shape.  They ended up calling an ambulance and I woke up at
the hospital.  My first reaction was "oh no, they are going to think I was
low during the accident."  To my luck, the police officer who arrived at the
accident scene had reported that I was completely coherent, just a little
shook up. The people at the police station had told my husband that I had
been waiting over an hour before he showed up and I hadn't told them I was
diabetic or that I would need anything and that they were sorry for what
happened.  So I lucked out that it didn't show up on my police report.  In
this case the accident had nothing to do with my blood sugar, but the
reaction I had at the police station later was.  Not everyone knows enough
about how insulin works to figure out the two weren't connected. Well, other
then the fact the accident caused me not to eat breakfast on time.  Needless
to say I never took my insulin before driving anywhere again.

-- Sherry