[IP] One more question - Driver's License: New Mexico

One more question.
How does the procedure work?
What if you bring in your medical form, they must not issue you a license
right there because supposedly a doctor has to review your case.
So they much issue some sort of temporary temporary permit? But do they
then destroy my California license so if they then decide not to give me a
New Mexico licence, I've lost my California license as well??