Re: [IP] Incorrect Delivery--basal or bolus

Andrew Aronoff <email @ redacted> wrote:
>Still, you can check this kind of thing yourself. Disconnect the pump
>from the cannula at the quick disconnect. If your tubing doesn't have
>a quick disconnect, pull out the cannula. Look at the reservoir level.
>Write it down. Program one or more primes to pump out 20 units. Do you
>see insulin flowing out of the end of the infusion set? Does the flow
>look fairly constant? If you shake the insulin drops free of the end
>of the infusion set, does insulin flow resume quickly as the pump
>clicks? After the 20 units have been pumped, check the reservoir level
>-- it should be exactly 20 units lower than before, which is one
>reservoir interval.
>The 508 (which I have) also has a "Lead Screw Rotation Test" -- see
>page 81 of the manual. One needs to notice the orientation of a
>"landmark" on the lead screw, then program a 7.2 unit prime, and
>monitor how the screw turns as the prime progresses and how insulin
>flows out of the end of the infusion set.
>With these tests (especially the first one), you should be able to
>ensure that your pump is working properly.
>If you need any help with these tests, please e-mail me privately.
>regards, Andy

 In addition to Andy's suggestions for checking the pump, you can also
disconnect/pull the cannula and set the pump to prime whatever number...10, 15,
20 units and start the prime. The difference in my suggestion, is to allow the
insulin to flow into a syringe in which the stopper has been removed, so you can
get a close estimate of the amount delivered, which should match the amount you
programed the pump to deliver. You may need to insert the end of the syringe in
something to insure the insulin does not flow out the needle...like the little
stopper that comes with the Sof sets that disconnect. Hope this helps some. Tina