Re:[IP] temp basals for field day

On Mon, 9 Jun 2003 19:00:29 -0700 (PDT), Stacey Nagel wrote:
 >Tomorrow, Jesses grade is having a field day from
 >9:30-1. Since we're new to pumping I'm looking for
 >suggestions on how much to reduce his basals ..and for
 >how long....   We're gonna be playing basketball,
 >volleyball, etc.. in the hopefully HOT sun....
 >Mom to Jesse ,11 dx.12/2001,Allison, 17 1/2, & Daniel
 >15 1/2 .
 >Belle Harbor, New York

When I was in the 6th grade in New Rochelle, NY we had a similar field
day. I have always remembered it because it was June 6, 1944, D-Day,
the invasion of France in WW2. I also remember it because I had a
severe insulin reaction after I got home. Unfortunately I wasn't using
a pump! And unfortunately, there is no simple answer to your question.
It's a trial and error situation. Make your best guess, and be sure
Jesse understands that he needs to be prepared to treat a low BG if it

You're definitely on the right track to be reducing Jesse's basals, but
everyone seems to be different. You could probably start the reduction
about 1/2 hour before the activity starts. Will it be possible to do
some BG tests during the time he is active? If so you or Jesse can
adjust the basal rate if your initial guess (and that's what it's going
to have to be) isn't perfect. The reduced basal rate probably needs to
be continued after the end of the exercise, possibly into the following

Tom Beatson
dx 12/1942, 506 1995, 508 2000
Phoenix, Arizona where the sun has been hot